THE VIRTUOUS NEVER DIES: A EULOGY IN HONOUR LATE PROF DALIS TONGNAN DABWOR

(Modest Thoughts with Ayuba, Yilgak'ha, February 19, 2024, 08116181263)

It was just a whisper I got, then, a call from a well-respected professor in the department of Economic, University of Jos and, finally, a post on our PhD platform that reads: "We lost prof. Dalis this morning. These messages were reviewed simultaneously and within a minute or two. They came swiftly and dropped like thunder bolt. I was not fully convinced until I managed to get to the residence of the revered professor, the house I have always visited.

Prof. Dalis (now 'Late' as the reality of life has forced me to accept), will always warmly welcomes me into his beautiful and serene house even when he was battling the ill-health that eventually consumed him. I got to the house but this time around, i made a few early callers and, at the entrance door was the portrait of this man with a good heart staring at me as if he was going to say, 'Ayuba welcome' as he will always do. This was when it dawned on me that the worst has happened again!

So hard to believe it happened but absurd not to believe it happened too. It is a sad reality but who will say no to the higher call of nature? Death is the higher call of nature, a separation of the body from soul which no mortal can resist. It has no protocol and, when it knocks, nobody says no. Sadly, that was the universal fate that befell the legendary professor, my supervisor, my father figure and friend.

With Prof. Dalis' demise now, I have lost the two supervisors with whom I started my PhD journey. As a PhD candidate, I lost and mourned Prof. James Hantsi Landi of blessed memory who died on August 10, 2020. It was a day that left a bitter taste on my emotional being just the same way February 14, 2024 has done to me. I felt badly robbed of a mentor, father figure and, a friend on Valentine's Day. While the world was in red celebrating the love ones, I was in black mourning a friend so idyllic. I'm a sad man. Why has nature visited these two hard knocks on me? So many questions to ask with no answers insight!

Let me put the matter of tragedy that had befallen us in perspective. What is going on here? Are these the 'days of the locust' for the Department of Economics, university of Jos? So much has gone under the bridge. Aside Late Professors Landi and Dalis, the Department of Economics, University of Jos had, also, lost great minds like Dr. Zogore, Prof. Akaahan, Prof. Omeijakwu and Mr. Bello, a very popular clerical staff in the department, all in a span of four (4) years. These were high ranking, respected and resourceful professors and staff as it were.

It takes decades to produce professors and we are losing them. This is an isolated incident but very bad trend. We cannot afford to lose our reservoirs of knowledge in this way. Oh God, have mercy on the department and the university of Jos. Enough is enough, never again, please. Otherwise, these harvest of deaths and the subtle 'Japa syndrome' that is manifesting in the institution might cripple this citadel in no distant time!

I wish this prose was a tribute but, sadly, it is a eulogy. I have tried demonstrating in words and action that I appreciate the kindness of Late Prof. Dalis but I wish he is alive to know how I feel about him as my academic tour guide. This eulogy looks at my encounter with the late professor, his biographical brief and meteoric rise to fame in the temple of intellectualism. It, also, touches on the virtues he generously shared with the world before exiting.

After our one-year MPhil/PhD course work in 2019, two supervisors were allocated to each of us based on our respective areas of interest. My supervisors happened to be Late Prof. Landi and Late Prof. Dalis. The journey began and these departed egg-heads encouraged me a lot. The former who was the lead supervisor assured me that 'we will do it together' and, the latter who was the second supervisor, similarly, said: 'It will be his joy to graduate and watch me do great things in the field'. I was highly motivated and assured them that with God holding me on the one hand and them holding me on the other hand, I shall pull through. However, Prof. Landi, eventually, passed away. 

Prof. Dalis who is, also, gone now graciously took over as the main supervisor with Dr. Eneji as my second supervisor. It was with the generous support of these two that I presented my proposal in June last year before the former's ill-health intermittently intensified to the point of no return. I watched this great man dies helplessly!

Right now, I have Dr. Eneji, an erudite scholar who has been very supportive.  I still rely on God and the vessel He will provide through the department of Economics to join this gentle scholar to guide me through the yet to be consummated journey. I shall not give up. I shall not quit because nobody ever taught me how to quit. The honour, I owe these intellectual giants is the honour of finishing strong and of bringing to bare the rich intellectual and moral virtues they lavished on me from day one and before the left!

As long as I live, and by the grace of God and, the extended support of my supervisor(s), I shall pull through and present to my departed heroes-cum-supervisors the title they were determined to help me achieve before death forcefully snatched them away from me.

Late Prof. Dalis Tongnan Dabwor was born on September 10, 1971 to the family of Late matriarch Shom'an and patriarch. Dalis Ghin of Abwor-Dyis, Pankshin LGC, Plateau State. He attended the Ekan Primary school of the community and graduated in 1983. Thereafter, he proceeds to Government Secondary School (GSS), Jak where he obtained his General Certificate of Education (GCE) in 1988. The hardworking man rested for only two years and, then, fired on.

Between 1991 and 1992, Late Prof. Dalis was at the School of Preliminary Studies (SPS) Keffi in present Nasarawa state where he wrote Interim Joined Admission and Matriculation Examination (IJMBE) - A level certification examination and graduated with flying colours. The was before he moved to the prestigious Amadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, where he obtained his first degree in Economics in 1997. In 2004, the Late professor, then, a younger person with lofty ambitions enrolled in masters' degree programme at the university of Jos and, thereafter, defended his PhD title in 2015. Subsequently, Late Prof. Dalis rose to the zenith of his career where he was appointed a Prof. on October 1, 2021 by the university of Jos ahead of some of his contemporaries. 

For those who may not know: "Professorship is a universally acclaimed hard-earned, life title resulting from several years of dedicated hard work in teaching, research, community service and experiences as well as publications in peer review journals and proceedings", explained Prof. John Woktong Wade, 2024). Who said it is not possible? From a very humble background, Late prof. Dalis defies all odds to shatter the glass ceiling. This is the trajectory of a rising and non-stop star who was on a mission to make a difference in his life time!

Late professor Dalis was a unique brand with a transformational mindset. He understood the power of knowledge and through sheer determination bulldozed his way to become a force to be reckoned with in the academia through the transformative power of this virtue - knowledge. He shared with me about his humble background and, also, about the adventurous manner in which he pursued his rise to fame, perhaps, to encourage me. He pointed out that when he sees people trying vitreous things, he will too and that, most often, those impromptu but deliberate decisions or steps ended in huge success, to the glory of God.

Late professor Dalis could be said to be a born teacher. He taught at St. Murumba College, Boy Secondary School (BSS) Gindiri, the Plateau State Polytechnic before he joined the services of the University of Jos as lecturer. While in the University of Jos, he was visiting at Karl Kumn University (KKU) where he acted acting as pioneer Head of Department Economics of the new but promising institution. The Late Professor was an examination officer, faculty representative at the Post Graduate School Board (PG Board), PhD Coordinator as well as Deputy Director, Office of Research and Development (ORD). This a pointer to the idea that Late Prof. Dalis was never a lazy breed but a well occupied enigma, a multi-tasking personality who effectively and efficiently handled sensitive responsibilities the system saddled him with.

Armed with requisite knowledge and exposure from the onset, the man was battling ready for the task ahead. Late prof. Dalis a a classical polymath. Therefore, his employment as lecturer in the university was the right thing to do. Nothing else could have been better for a man who has invested so much in his education. Considering that a university's tripartite functions are teaching, researching and community services, one could only say, and rightly too, that this departed scholar was a round peck in a round hole. While alive, in other words, he manages his professorship well.

Late Prof. Dalis was, indeed, a reference point. He was for me in economics what Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein were in the world of physics. He has reached his commanding height in his academic career. His academic exploits could rival the feat the likes of Adam Smith, the father of economics, John Maynard Keynes and Milton Friedman had attended in the field of economics. Late Prof. Dalis was a scholar with a clear difference. His intellectual opinions were highly respected in the department. It was just going to be a matter of time for this thorough bred to hit the intellectual airwaves, globally, and, in the manner heroes in the field!

There is so much to say, Late Prof Dalis was so passionate about his job. Even on his sick bed, he was still contributing to our PhD presentations and discussions through phone calls. He has done that twice in my presence and, perhaps, such has never happened in the history of the department or the university as a whole. The departed Professor, also, added empathy to his passion and determination. He was still attending to us his candidates to such a point that I was feeling very guilty approaching him with my work and I told him, but he insisted I should be coming. 

Sometimes, while attending to me, he will ask me to read the work while he listened but, in the process, pains will over-power and that, will be all for the day. I will leave with so much concerns for him (not for my work) but, yet, with something to enrich my thesis too. Until his last days on earth, he was making contributions that were enriching to the PhD work of many, I must say. This makes him one of the greatest benefactors who died doing the work they know how to do best!

Late Prof. Dalis once told me that this thing (knowledge), if you do not share, it shall be total waste when you are no more. He understood this secret and, so, was purposefully extravagant with his wealth of knowledge and experience. It was as if he knew he was going to die so soon and, was, literally, in a haste to impart knowledge. This makes him an intellectual philanthropist!

Like Tabitha in the Bible, the Late Professor left behind many towering and enduring legacies. The students he graduated (PhD candidates, MSc students not to talk of undergraduates), his publications in peer review journals and the journals he edited both locally and internationally; the experiences he shared with colleagues and students will continue to speak in his honour now and always.

I am consoled that Late Prof Dalis left behind family that will nurture and extend all the virtues and principles that he stood for while alive. Mrs Usharan Dalis, the wife whom I came to know as a perfect match and companion of my prof., the children Nanribet Dalis, Chaimun Dalis and Mabumshak Dalis are proud heirs and replica of this embodiment and fountain of good things. The family shall grow to make their mother happy here and their Late father, also, happy man at the other side of existence!

The virtuous shall never die. Late prof. Dalis was a virtuous man. He was a dynamic and a very resourceful teacher. The departed Professor was, equally, a tested philosopher who was very deep in his thoughts and extravagantly generous with his wealth of knowledge and experience which he did give at no cost to the beneficiaries. He was not that generous because he was rich in knowledge (there are stingy fountains of knowledge everywhere); instead, he was generous because he was a good man.

In the final analysis, Late Professor Dalis was a force for good. He was an embodiment of virtues, one who was complete with both hard and soft skills. He was a well informed and integrated personality. While I extend my sincere condolences to the family, I pray that may he walks down the gate of heaven with pride and be warmly received by the celestial host of that divide. Bye, legendary scholar as you will be committed to mother earth on February 23, 2024!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GRASSROOTS NEWS

DR. DAKUM AT 66 A DOGGED STATESMAN AND AN ASTUTE POLITICIAN

DR. DAKUM AT 66 A DOGGED STATESMAN AND AN ASTUTE POLITICIAN  Walbe Orgak The 2023 Plateau State Gubernatorial candidates under t...