THE BIRTHDAY OF A MAN PREPARED TO SERVE


(Modest Thoughts with Ayuba Yilgak'ha, February 17, 2024, 08116181263)

Before we met closely, I have heard so much about Nde Yakubu Iliya Gomos in the passing but know so little about him. Then, fate beckoned and, I stumbled on a book written in honour of him during his 60th birthday day celebration titled: "The essential Yakubu Gomos at 60: Testimonies of family and associates". The contents of the book have collection of remarks and goodwill messages to mark his birthday in grand style.

Because the book was displayed for sale in the bookstore where I saw it, I spent my last kobo that day to buy it without any hesitation. Not only did I buy the book but I used the next day throughout reading it from cover to cover.

It was nice and an interesting read. The book was a compendium of glowing tributes which gave me some salient insights about the person I can comfortably describe as a dynamic son of the soil!

In the forward of the book, former deputy governor of Plateau State, Prof. Sonni Gwanle Tyoden wrote as follow: "I do no not recall how I and Yakubu Gomos met, but I recall that I took immediate liking for him from day one. With a friendly mind, you cannot fail to notice him in a crowd; robust, lively and some will loud, Yakubu makes his presence felt wherever he is." What does this lines suggest to you? For me, it speaks to the substance of the adage that, "a golden fish has no hiding place"!

Apart from the book, the next time I encountered Nde Yakubu Gomos, at close range, was on February 11, 2023, during the second JD Gomwalk Memorial Lecture organised by the National Association of Ngas Students (NANGS). Through the, then, president of the association, Comrade Yelgola Filkuk, I was requested to curve a suitable topic for discussion at the event and, after doing so, I was, subsequently, invited to present a paper on it together with Nde Yakubu Iliya Gomos but I told the president that memorial lectures are moments for deep reflection and, that one thorough breed scholar could do justice to the topic slated for discourse. Therefore, I opted out to allow Nde Yakubu Gomos to take charge as the guest speaker as the organisers featured me one of the discussants.

Together with other guests who turned up for the well attended event, I listened with wrapped attention to Nde Yakubu discuss the life and times of our great legend, Joseph Dechi Gomwalk of blessed memory. As the lecture progresses, I told myself that the decision to bring the guest speaker,  Nde Yakubu, was not misplaced, after all. The lecture contents I had developed before we settled for him were so similar with his' as if we sat together to develop them. The only difference was in the use of illustration. As a seasoned journalist and public relations practitioner, he injected great humour and practical experiences I didn't have as a younger intellectual.

The lecture, Nde Yakubu Gomos presented, was a moving one which expatiated and shed great light on the life and times of a tested and transformational leader. He drew our attention to the virtues that can be learned from "the man in the mirror" as a way of bettering our leadership lot in the state and nation state, Nigeria.

The audience and I dealt with our ears hearing and savouring the contents the man brought to the table and, I later made complementary remarks that were centred on the lecture and late JD who was the centre of discussion. I remember saying that the lecture was a moving one; very rich in contents and brought to bare fresh memories of a departed hero that selflessly served humanity and with greater distinction. I pointed out to the audience that Late JD Gomwalk was an innocent and peaceful man who was killed violently for no justifiable reasons. It was a crude jungle justice that cannot find expression or tolerated in any decent democracy and society!

Once again, I encountered Nde Yakubu Gomos as a faculty member of the African Centre for Leadership Strategy and Development (ACLSD) which in collaboration with Mountain of Hope Foundation (MoHF), Jos, is committed to training transformations and trans-generational leaders in the continent of Africa which is battling quality leadership deficit. Having mingled with this dynamic man for 12 solid months, I had more opportunity to engage with him as my teacher and broker of leadership essentials.

Put it this way: The sense I can make of Nde Yakubu Iliya Gomos, in all of these tripartite encourage through book, public lecture and leadership classes, is that the man is resourceful, a benefactor highly connected, humble and rich in humour.

You need to attend the lectures of Nde Yakubu to know how humourous he can. During classes, he can be so humourous in the James Bon style. He will make you laugh with jokes and still pass his messages seamlessly!

The book, tributes compendium, I read on him and the lectures he delivered in my presence bore great witness to his resourcefulness. When the citation of Nde Yakubu Gomos was read for us at the Centre LSD/Jos leadership school,  I marvel at how a man with such high profile can be so humble. That Nde Yakubu is the Executive Director, Jos University Advancement Centre - "the only executive Director for the university" as the Vice Chancellor (VC) of the University, Prof. Tanko Ishaya, observed in the preface of the "essential" book, pointed to how strategic his position is, in the life of the great citadel of learning. In other words, to be a critical stakeholder in the development of a great learning institution is to say, "the man deh" as one of my colleagues at work will always put it slangwise whenever he meets an important and resourceful person.

Nde Yakubu Gomos is a tested benefactor. When I graduated from the Centre LSD/Jos leadership school, I was entitled to nominate a participant for the next set (the third set) which I did. However, after the name of my nominatee was submitted, an interested brother who could not get it last year approached me for help. Because my chance was exhausted, I met Nde Yakubu for help as a faculty member and, surprisingly, when the list of successful applicants for the course came out, the belated request I made was expressly granted and the candidate is now enrolling to the glory of God. This indicates that, Nde Yakubu, will not hesitate to help whenever he is in the power to do so.

One of the salient lessons I deduced from the sixteen (16) chapter book earlier reference in respect Nde Yakubu Gomos, is that, being a member of many platforms could increase the visibility of a person, especially, when such individual is of good morals and, also, adding or creating value in the lives of members of those platforms. You can't believe it, 16 chapters of the book represent 16 different platforms (family, school, mates, church, colleagues at work, etc.) where,  at least, two (2) persons had something good to say about Nde Yakubu Gomos.

To be visible means to be seen, heart and engaged or accessed and even admired by people. Personal visibility determines the social net-worth of a person or an individual. For instance, by being a faculty member in the well intentioned and established leadership school like centre LSD/MoHF, Jos, Nde Yakubu Gomos, has increased his personal visibility as an eminently qualified mentor and roll model in functional leadership. The logic is that you cannot be a mentor in anything if you are not resourceful in something of value to the society. Therefore, Nde Yakubu Iliya Gomos is an index of leadership and given the opportunity, he will not be a liability.

Just recently, Nde Yakubu Gomos whispered to me that he was contesting for the seat of national president, Ngas Development Association (NDA) and, I told him my prayers were with him. I cannot pray less because I have come to know his brand and vibe substantially.

When it comes to Leadership, character and vision are constant indices for objective consideration. I have the deep conviction that whoever has read, internalised and passionately discussed the leadership legacies of JD Gomwalk at very important functions like Nde Yakubu Gomos did, such person must have, at least, learned the rudiments of visionary and transformational leadership and can do well with power. The is because, leadership capabilities are learned and not inherited as some leadership theorists are insinuating. I believe strongly that whatever a man passionately learns and pursues, he becomes it in time!

Leadership is about influence, inspiration and motivation; innovative and agenda setting towards the mobilisation of resources development; it is an anchor and rallying point for teamwork; it mitigates negative actions as well as coordinates positive ones for human progress. The Ngas nation deserves a composite leader with these cherishable attributes!

I have learned that 'leadership is not a position', a 'chair' or an 'office' but an action packed responsibility that require tact and discipline. Therefore, whoever aspire to lead must be prepared intellectually, morally and emotionally. 

I am yet to know if there are other contestants for the office of national president but, one thing, I know for sure, is that the Ngas nation has no short of capable hands that could stir the ship of our nation to greatness. However, for every time and season, there is a leader that fits it. If there are other contestants for the seat of the President and/or other available executive seats, I wish them well even as I wish the Ngas nation the best in leadership.

Let me conclude this piece by congratulating Nde Yakubu Gomos, a man who is prepared to serve, on his 62nd birthday and, to wish him God's guidance as he seek an opportunity to serve Ngas Nation at the highest level. Congratulations on his birthday and best wishes to him in his electioneering campaigns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GRASSROOTS NEWS

DR. DAKUM AT 66 A DOGGED STATESMAN AND AN ASTUTE POLITICIAN

DR. DAKUM AT 66 A DOGGED STATESMAN AND AN ASTUTE POLITICIAN  Walbe Orgak The 2023 Plateau State Gubernatorial candidates under t...